I can’t embed this video, but do yourself a favor and go to the RISD site and watch all 34 minutes of it.
With a wry humor that is very stereotypically British, the insightful part of Sr Ken’s speech begins about half way through when he starts talking about creativity.
Here are my favorite takeaways:
- Challenge the things you take for granted ~ which is quite difficult, because it is hard to know what we take for granted since we take it for granted…!
- There are many things in our lives that enthrall our minds that we should think about again.
- The power to conceive of alternatives is unique to us…use it!
- Design & creativity celebrates the diversity of human intelligence!
- Finding your passion is essential to your path in life.
- If you love something your whole life is transformed by it (Note: not just relates to creativity & work, but love, life, family…)
- Cherish diversity = pulse of creativity + innovation + human life!
- We need each other, the interdependence of human talents is profound.
- Make connections.
- Life is not linear, it’s organic.
- Invest in your talent and life reconfigures around you.
- Expose yourself to new possibilities and meet them head on with your talent alert, confidence aroused & you will find purpose and meaning.
- Right beneath the surface are the seeds of possibility waiting for the right conditions. Create the right conditions and success is a certainty.
Wonderful and inspiring stuff, and I am sure the class of 2009 left feeling vindicated and uplifted, because as he pointed out they were probably discouraged from pursuing creative careers due to the perception of lack of financial benefit.
But creative thinking ability is the financial benefit of the future, and that future is starting now!
Sorry, gotta go dig up some seeds and plant my talent for tomorrow’s creative harvest…